I’ve been trying out the Amazon Fire lately. It’s interface takes a bit of getting used to if you are used to the Roku, but for the most part is very navigation friendly.
It allows the easy install of the three must have paid channels, NETFLIX, AMAZON PRIME, and HULU; however it also offers a selection of excellent free channels. Not as extensive as Roku, but it has a solid selection.
So without further preamble, The best free apps/channels for Amazon Fire are:
- CRACKLE – It’s selection can use updating, but offers a nice feature of being able to watch a show while searching their list of titles
- TUBITV- arguably the best selection of content on any free channel, including notables not available on the paid channels
- SNAGFILMS – It’s selection needs updating, but highligts a few movies that may fall through the cracks of the other channels
- For the most part the above channels are easy to load and navigate, offer good content, and keep the ads to a minimum. Three things that the below apps/channels fail to do, and hence end up in our hall of shame.
- YOUTUBE and VIMEO – convenient for staying abreast of movie trailers and finding short films and other hard to find content
- PLUTO TV- The cable experience, without the cable price
The worst Amazon Fire Channels/Apps are:
- KINO LORBER – Horrible navigation issues, mediocre content
- GO INDIE TV – Navigation issues, and more mediocre content
- SCREAMBOX – You’ll be screaming at what a waste of time this channel is. Lackluster content, poor navigation menu
- COMICBOOKCAST2 – is basically a podcast with static pics, Not worth the time to download.